World

China mine blast: Death toll rises to 90; Beijing orders crackdown as rescue ops continue — top developments

1 Mins read


China mine blast: Death toll rises to 90; Beijing orders crackdown as rescue ops continue — top developments

A deadly gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed at least 90 people, with rescue operations still under way and authorities launching a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining activities after the country’s worst mining disaster in 17 years, AFP reported.The blast took place on Friday evening at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, China’s main coal-producing region. State media said 247 workers were underground at the time of the explosion, while more than 120 others were hospitalised for treatment.What happened at mineA gas explosion ripped through the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province on Friday evening, killing at least 90 people.State media said 247 workers were underground when the blast occurred at around 7.29 pm local time.Authorities initially reported four deaths, but the toll rose sharply overnight as rescue teams reached more parts of the mine.Rescue operations continueState broadcaster CCTV said 123 injured workers were sent to hospital, with four reported to be in critical or serious condition.As of Saturday afternoon, 33 workers had been discharged after treatment, according to state media reports.A total of 755 emergency and medical personnel were deployed as rescue operations continued at the site.Survivor recalls blastInjured miner Wang Yong told CCTV there was a “puff of smoke” before he smelled sulphur inside the mine.He said several workers were choked by smoke before he lost consciousness during the incident.“I lay down for about an hour and woke up by myself. I called the people next to me and got out of the mine together,” Wang said.China orders crackdown, probeChinese authorities launched what state media described as an “uncompromising” investigation into the explosion and vowed to “severely” punish those found responsible.President Xi Jinping called for “all-out efforts” to treat the injured and ordered thorough investigations into the incident.State media also said authorities had ordered a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining practices, including falsified safety data, unclear underground worker counts and illegal contracting activities.



Source link

Related posts
World

'Just a normal Friday for an Iranian': US founder says her wedding in Turkiye got called off

2 Mins read
Iranian-origin founder Kiana Ehsani reacts to the new Green Card rule. Iranian-origin US founder Kiana Ehsani reacted to the new Green Card…
World

Jpmorgan Chase: 'You are worthless': JPMorgan’s Lorna Hajdini faces abusive messages amid legal battle over Chirayu Rana’s 'sex slave' allegations

2 Mins read
Senior JPMorgan Chase executive has exposed a series of vile and threatening messages she received after a former colleague accused her of…
World

‘Don’t mind being called tyrant dictator, but don’t want to be called dumb’: Donald Trump

2 Mins read
US President Donald Trump on Friday brushed aside criticism from opponents while boasting about his cognitive abilities and intelligence during a rally…
Power your team with InHype

Add some text to explain benefits of subscripton on your services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *