World

‘It would be a big mistake’: WHO Africa chief warns against underestimating Ebola virus risk in Congo, Uganda

1 Mins read


‘It would be a big mistake’: WHO Africa chief warns against underestimating Ebola virus risk in Congo, Uganda

The World Health Organization’s Africa director on Friday warned against underestimating the risk posed by the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighbouring Uganda, saying even a single case could trigger wider transmission beyond the affected countries, Reuters reported.Speaking to Reuters in Geneva, Mohamed Yakub Janabi said it would be “a big mistake to underestimate it, especially with a virus with this strain, Bundibugyo, (for) which we don’t have the vaccine.”“So I would really encourage everyone, let’s help each other, we can bring this thing into control,” he said.Janabi said the Ebola outbreak in Congo had received relatively limited international attention compared with this month’s hantavirus outbreak linked to cruise ship passengers from 23 countries.“You just need one contact case to put all of us at risk, so my wish and prayer is that we should give (Ebola) the attention it deserves,” he said.Ebola is a severe and often fatal disease that spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids of infected individuals, contaminated materials, or the bodies of people who have died from the infection. Symptoms include fever, body aches, vomiting and diarrhoea. According to data published by the DRC health ministry on Thursday, the outbreak has resulted in 160 suspected deaths out of 670 suspected cases, with 61 confirmed infections so far. Two confirmed cases have also been reported in Uganda.Janabi declined to estimate how long the current outbreak might last, saying experts were still assessing the scale of the situation. He said the “hyperdynamic movement of the people” had made it difficult to fully gauge the outbreak.He added that efforts were underway to increase testing, strengthen infection prevention measures and improve community engagement.Referring to an incident in which Ebola treatment tents were burned following a dispute over a victim’s body, Janabi said authorities were “trying to fight both frontiers” — the virus itself and misinformation circulating among local communities.He also said epidemiologists were yet to identify the first infected person linked to the outbreak.



Source link

Related posts
World

UK military air show Royal International Air Tattoo cancelled amid Middle East conflict concerns | World News

1 Mins read
One of the world’s largest military air shows has been cancelled after organisers cited uncertainty linked to the ongoing conflict in the…
World

Did China spy on Elon Musk, other tech executives during Trump's Beijing visit? Blogger makes big claim

1 Mins read
‘Major Cheng Cheng’ standing behind Elon Musk (x.com/jenniferzeng97) The delegation of US President Donald Trump was spied on by China during his…
World

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

1 Mins read
Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in…
Power your team with InHype

Add some text to explain benefits of subscripton on your services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *